Monday, February 13, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day.

As a little girl, I remember Valentine's Day so vividly -- decorating a shoebox to hold our cards at school, picking just the right Valentine for each friend in our class and uh, having Bronchitis several years in a row and missing the whole thing.

I remember one year where my sweet Mama had gotten me the cutest little heart-decorated blouse and matching skirt to wear and I could not wait! I was beside myself with plans of distributing my hand-selected Valentine cards to each member of my fourth-grade class in this cutest of ensembles! (Smile.) Only I ended up wearing it to the pediatrician's office instead.

I was clearly traumatized, right?

So honestly, it would make perfect sense if this was not a holiday I celebrated, right? With those traumatic memories. And yes, I understand that to many it is an overly-commercialized day intent on increasing floral and card sales. I once had a boss who refused to celebrate what he referred to as the forced-romanticism. Blah blah blah. I get it.

But here's my thing. It's a sweet day. There. I said it. 

In a world where we spend a lot of time -- a LOT of time on fighting over everything from when life begins to when it should end and everything in between. In a world where we focus millions of dollars on establishing political DIFFERENCES and attacking each other. In a world where we draw lines in the sand based on our football team preferences....

Isn't it OK, to take a day and focus on LOVE?

Really, how long has it been since you decorated a shoebox so people could drop you a note to say they think you are sweeter than candy?

My little red has her box all ready. She actually even pulled out last year's box to use for the Valentine's she has made for her family (and we have been forbidden to look under her bed!).

Last night, we were flipping channels and Up was on. Oh my goodness, I have to tell you that I am not sure a more romantic movie has ever been made. When Carl flips through the book his dear Ellie has made celebrating their life together, I glanced at my Valentine as tears coursed down his cheeks. With our girls curled up beside him on the couch, I couldn't help but think that THIS is what we are celebrating this week -- this love.

So pull out your shoe boxes, my friends! Make heart-shaped pancakes for your kids. Buy a treat for a co-worker. Celebrate the love of life, the love of friends, the love of the adventure we are all on together!




My Valentine -- for more than 20 years!

Have a blessed Valentine's Day!

0 comments: