Friday, August 6, 2010

Take heart...

We have been on the road...first a family trip to Disneyland and now Wade and I are in Monterey, California...ALONE! Well, not completely alone...there are about a million sea lions camped out across from our hotel in the bay. Amazing creatures, I have enjoyed watching them (though smelling them is a completely different story!), and of course, taking a few photos! (You'll have to wait until I get home though, I can not upload them with hubby's computer.)

But as I am being lazy this morning (who knew that downright cold temperatures -- it is 55 degrees here right now -- and a completely overcast sky would be so restful?), I was struck by a passage of scripture that made me think of something my darling littlest said this week and I have to share.

My precious Cate was impatiently waiting for me to join her playing Barbies and I told her (as I probably had told her about various things ALL day.) to wait "just a minute"...to which she dramatically sighed and said, "But Mommy I don't know what a minute IS!!!"

Oh.

So this morning, I am reading from the book of John where Jesus is sharing with the disciples that he will be leaving them:

"In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me." John 16:16

The disciples turn to each other and begin talking: "...What does he mean by 'in a little while'? We don't understand what he is saying." John 16:18

I got so tickled reading this that I almost spit my coffee because I "heard" Cate's voice. But the point is not lost on me and I don't want you to miss it either...there is so much we do not and can not understand. Like the disciples, I find myself telling Jesus that I don't understand the whys of today. But dear ones, I love the final verse in this passage:

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

And that, is a blessing I understand.

0 comments: