Saturday, April 17, 2010

Thirteen years ago today I had no idea what the next 24 hours would hold...what the next two months would present....what the next 13 years would be.

Oh, I am so grateful. So grateful for the nurses that streamed in one by one the morning of April 18th, 1997 to kiss my cheek and tell me they were praying for my babies by name. These were the ladies who had been my world for weeks on end...and they cared that morning.

Wade and I were scared to death. My Mother was standing outside the operating room and we were not sure at all what our 28 4/7 weeks-gestation babies would look like.

The operating room had about a million and a half people -- seriously! The babies each had a doc, a nurse, a fellow and I had docs, nurses, residents....it was insane!

When first Benjamin Wade was delivered he let out a cry right before he was whisked to the NICU. Then sweet Mason Joshua, his cry was smaller (HE was smaller) but he cried nonetheless and we praised God for lungs that allowed that! The doctor looks at me and said there might be THREE boys...I told her to KEEP LOOKING....and she did and found our sweet Claire Elisabeth.

The next weeks and months were full of so many who loved and cared for my crew....but today is about their BIRTH day and these are my memories. Memories of Wade being torn about leaving my side to go to theirs. Memories of my Mother telling me they were the most beautiful babies she had ever seen.

Memories of having to wait until I was stable before I could see them -- a full 24 hours! The longest of my life. Memories of the NICU nurses pulling out the Polaroid for Wade to bring me photos...my first glimpse at our beautiful amazing incredible three!!


I will not reminisce tomorrow -- tomorrow will be a day of celebrating the now...the miracle of 13....the blessing of three amazing miracles who have a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ and long to live their lives giving HIM the glory for their birth entering their teenage years! Oh, I can't wait to see what God has in store for those!!

And so before I fast forward to TODAY...a couple parting glances at yesterday...


Three standing...one of my favorite pictures ever! (That is Mason, Claire and Benjamin)

Post-Christmas morning...three tricycles and enough toys for several stores!!


They are blessings, in deed.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great story and great pics or your little blessings. Happy Birthday, Benjamin, Mason and Claire!

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

Yes, blessings indeed. Love you all, Carol.

Jeannett said...

I just spent altogether too much time reading through your blog...thanks for popping over and linking! Triplets? You. are. my. hero. :)

Victoria said...

Hi! I found your blog through Bennett's Mama's blog...I just wanted to say that your story touched my heart. I have a twin sister and we were born 9 weeks premature 23 years ago...my sister has CP, so I know some of the struggles you and your family have gone through. I admire you and your family! Thank you for sharing your life through your blog; I truly look forward to reading more of your posts. :)

God is great!