Saturday, October 18, 2008

No real point...

I love to read the paper. Really. I used to write for one and even though I was the lone conservative in that particular sea, it was the best job I had before Mommy-hood! And today, even though I could strangle some reporters for slanting everything they write so desperately to the left that I have to lay down to read it...I still read the paper everyday. I clip articles for my kids. I clip articles for my husband (who promptly tells me he read it on the Internet two or three days prior). I laugh out loud at the lack of objectivity with which the election is covered (gee, I wonder who the media want to win this election?!). But read, I do.

So today, I have to share the best thing I have read in the paper in a week or so. Really. And if, like my husband, you read this on the Internet weeks ago...well, don't tell me. I enjoy being the news-bearer, for Pete's sake!!

Now are you ready: Apparently, the University of Illinois medical school has conducted a study on how to help people learn the proper method of administering CPR. According to this article, the American Heart Association recommends 100 chest compressions per minute to effectively help someone in cardiac arrest. This study found that singing the Bee Gees' 1977 hit song, Staying Alive, in your head while doing the compressions helps.

OK. Did you catch that? If you sing Staying Alive in your head -- or listen to it on your Ipod -- and compress to the beat, you can help someone....stay alive! (Sorry, but I had to say it.)

Now, I'm not sure what made them think of this -- that is a question I would have asked for sure! But this doctor and his students get kudos for realizing the importance of helping people become comfortable with knowing they are doing something to help -- and doing it correctly! And for finding a creative way to do that.

Staying alive, staying alive, ah, ah, ah, ah, staying a-liiiiiii-iiiii-ve!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Carol, now I'll have that song in my head all night long... Those are the only word I can really understand in the song too. Have you ever tried to see what they were singing? But hey, with a hit like that who cares. We even have it on our ipod. Someone has to teach the kids about the history of music right?

Anonymous said...

Carol...our local paper just recently had an editorial saying that they ENDORSE a specific candidate, which is not the one I am voting for!!! Why must they do that?