Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Honor, blue-ribbons and gold putters.

A week ago I won a blue ribbon. A real-live blue ribbon. I am pretty sure it was a first for me. And even as I saw the ribbon hanging on my photograph (Did I mention it was a photography contest?), I started giggling. I giggled thinking about it, talking about it and my kids have made sure to include it in conversations randomly all week just to make me laugh.






Just a few days after my ribbon-winning (See what I did there? It is an event now??), the kids and I had the pleasure of visiting the headquarters of PING Golf. After meeting my kids at the announcement of PING's generous grant to the gait lab Wade is building at Phoenix Children's Hospital, the big hearts at the golf giant asked if they could help Mason....and today our engineer friends at PING are working to improve the grips on Mason's power sticks (crutches) to lessen the hand callouses and shoulder pain he has been experiencing. I am overwhelmed with gratitude every time I meet these gentlemen. 

Matt, Rob and Jeremy were kind enough to show us "The Vault" at PING. My little blue ribbon pales in comparison to the glimmer and shine of the wall to wall gold-plated putters that fill the vault! The putters are gold-plated replicas of each putter used to win a championship. They are engraved with the champion's name and something about the winning shot.  It was amazing, really. (And though we don't know a ton about golf, we were eager to see our friend Bubba Watson's putter!!)


So overwhelmed with gratitude that these amazing minds are working to help Mason. Such a gift!






I have pondered my little blue-ribbon all weekend -- along with the spectacle of gold in the vault at PING. Trophies are a real deal, aren't they? Clearly, I am not the first to giggle at the sight of a reward wtih my name on it -- nor will I be the last.

The out loud pat on the back, the affirmation that the world -- or for me a very small corner of it -- thinks we do something well feels good. It feels really really good. Right?

Oh my friends, I am certain I am not alone. We crave that recognition, don't we? We hunger for acknowledgement that someone thinks we are doing a good job.

As moms, our daily work is rarely awarded a ribbon, a gold-plated anything and some days we don't even hear a thank you. We are pressed from every side to do the laundry, pay the bills, feed the kids and if that isn't enough we should throw in some Pinterest-worthy costume design, craft-making and home decor.

I wish I could hug each of you -- and in the process place a blue ribbon on your homes, declaring you worthy of first place for doing what must be done. For rallying your children. For loving your spouse. For being a good friend, a good daughter, sister.

A once-shepherd boy turned king understood the need for confirmation. He understood the need for praise and the occasional pat on the back. But he knew something else, too. He knew that no number of blue ribbons or gold trophies could give him what God promised.

And in Psalms 62:7-8, David declares:

"My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times you people, pour out our hearts to him, for God is our refuge." (NIV)

I love the English Standard Version here too:

  "On God rests my salvation and my glory...."


Oh, I'm still grateful for my blue ribbon. I like it a lot. But I am blessed to know the One who offers me real glory, who gives true honor, for those are the blessings greater than gold, my friends!

My award-winning photo!



1 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks, Carol. God used your message - and Psalm 62! - in my life this morning. p.s. Congratulations on the well-deserved recognition. The photograph and caption are amazing.