Thursday, July 16, 2009

The previously scheduled post...

Before I begin my last post on our wonder-filled Summer 2009 Trip to Disneyland, I have to give you a little background info...so bear with me.

As far back as I can remember, I have been a huge fan of Dumbo. Huge. And if you know me at all, you know that I don't even for a second consider this a coincidence...no, absolutely not. God has been preparing me for mothering my sweet boys with their own special needs (like Dumbo's amazing ears) my entire life!

Now, you probably also know -- and if you didn't you maybe could have deduced -- that Wade and I went to Disney World for our honeymoon (My first Disney trip ever!). After one of the parades, where we had seen Dumbo in the final float, Wade and I made a beeline for ToonTown where we were told the characters in the parade would be greeting guests. Wade knew that I really would cherish a photo with the elephant with overgrown ears. Sadly, upon our arrival at ToonTown, we were told that Dumbo had flown to Disneyland in California. Really. To which I promptly sat down on a bench and shed a few tears. (Would this be a good point to interject that I had gotten very ill prior to our wedding with Mono....actually fainting on my sweet Wade three weeks before the wedding and having to be rushed to the Emergency Room? Clearly, the exhaustion of our beautiful wedding day and the fun of WDW was catching up with me...but Wade rarely tells the kids that part when recounting the story...much better to believe Mommy cried over Dumbo at a completely grown-up age!)

So, now that you have the appropriate background info...you should know that Claire is following right in my footsteps with a complete adoration of that cute elephant. So, when Wade heard that for the first time ever -- EVER -- Dumbo would be flying in the fireworks at Disneyland, we began booking our tickets!!

As we approached the trip, Disney announced they would be having a patriotic firework show (read: no Dumbo) every night but ONE of our trip. I don't take my prayer time lightly...but I can confess that I actually prayed for good weather that night so not to disappoint my children (by then all four were absolutely giddy with anticipation). And OK, I didn't want to test whether my disappointment in 1991 at WDW was completely illness-related or not!

And friends, it was a perfect night. The weather was lovely. The fireworks amazing. And Dumbo. Well, Dumbo was just magnificent!! He flew around the castle, back and forth, back and forth before joining Tinker Bell!!


Sadly, even though I was using my tripod, I was so excited about SEEING Dumbo that I couldn't focus well enough to take his picture...if you look carefully...that blurry blue thing above the castle, with the yellow hat and the red collar....well, that is Dumbo in flight!


The castle was so beautiful during the fireworks...I love watching the colors change.

And just one of my favorite shots of the trip, reminding us all that our fun trips were all started with....this Mouse!! M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E...see you real soon!

1 comments:

Christy said...

Does this have to be the last post about your trip? I have so enjoyed reading all about it!