Thursday, June 4, 2009

A good word...

Sometimes, in the midst of our struggles we are given a distraction -- like watching a little girl delight herself in learning to play "kickie ball" (see the earlier post).

And sometimes we are given a glimpse into someone else's struggle allowing our empathy to replace our own sorrow -- like the way my heart is aching for my sweet friend, Mardi, and her husband, Dan, as they await the swine flu crisis to subside so that China will raise the travel restrictions that are preventing them from holding their darling, red-shoe-wearing-daughter, Lauren, in their arms (You can read their story by clicking here and after you do, will you join me in praying for this sweet family?!)

And sometimes, we are given a word from scripture, a gentle reminder that God cares and has a plan and wants to help...

That is what I received today when having my Bible reading:

"My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word." Psalm 119:28

And so I am committing this verse to memory tonight. A promise to myself to allow God to give me the strength through his word to endure the summer of dreading Benjamin's surgery, the surgery itself, and the recovery process. A promise that God will give me strength when what I really want to do is wallow in the fact that all around me people are NOT having surgery on their beloved sons...NOT worrying...NOT struggling. Basically, I am claiming this verse in an effort to NOT sink into the pit of sorrow and pity where Satan loves to have me hang out.

Strengthen me, O Lord.

Amen.

0 comments: