Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Progress Report...

Day three of homeschooling...I still have hair. I still have four beautiful kids (who also still have hair). And the house is still intact (dirty, mind you, but intact.). Homeschooling is going great!

Ok, the routine is still coming together and I am more tired than I have possibly been since they were infants and needed to be fed round-the-clock, but all in all, we are having a good time and I, at least, am learning a ton. Hopefully, the three sixth graders and one little preschooler are as well!

The best part though is that we are so much more relaxed. Time is on OUR side for a change, not battling us. And the difference is amazing. We have laughed more in the last three days then we possibly did all last semester. So, I'll take the exhaustion. Thank you very much!

The funniest moment so far...I just have to share. But first, let me assure you that I am attempting to give them a balanced education. Really. Even though those who know me, probably recognize my propensity to focus on reading and writing...we ARE doing Math and Science. Truly. But I also get to do things I like to do...so each morning over breakfast, I give them a newspaper article (yes, I may be archaic, but as a former newspaper reporter, I still VALUE getting ink print on my hands while I get my news.), a well-screened newspaper article that they are to read and then share when we gather for school later in the morning.

Yesterday, Claire's article was a feature piece on a couple living with the effects of Alzheimer's. I only scanned this one because it was so apparently appropriate for her to read. So we sit down for our "Current Events" time and she begins to share about the man who is so affected by this terrible disease that he is barely able to focus his eyes EXCEPT when his sweet wife comes to visit. Claire explains that when she is there he is alert, makes eye-contact with people and even sings, and I quote, "Star Wars' songs."

Well, Benjamin's hand shot up when it was time to ask questions. As you may know, my boys (and I mean the two little and the one big) LOVE Star Wars. Love it. So, he immediately wanted to know which Star Wars' songs this gentleman is singing.

Claire didn't miss a beat. She looked at him and said, "Oh, the Battle Hymn of the Republic."

No kidding.

Needless to say, her first assignment for the day was looking up the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" on the Internet.

God bless her...she just knew anything with Republic in it had to be affiliated with Star Wars. Thank you, Daddy.

But after a good laugh. And I mean a good long laugh. The five of us -- Cate possibly the loudest -- have just finished a rousing "Glory, glory, Hallelujah" at the tops of our lungs. She won't make that mistake again!

Oh, there are blessings in this, ya'll. Blessings in deed. Glory, glory.

2 comments:

Robyn said...

Hilarious!!! Mac loved this story! Love the idea of you being in charge of your time. How liberating!!! Love you!

Unknown said...

Oh...hilarious!!!!So good that you're documenting all these classic tales!