Thursday, September 18, 2008

Almost home...

The tea is sweet. The okra is fried. My friend's shoes are as cute as her blouse. I am almost back home, ya'll!

My hubbie and I are spending the week in downtown Atlanta -- the mission here is to attend a conference on Cerebral Palsy and movement disorders. So far the speakers have been wonderful -- I thoroughly enjoyed hearing Dr. Jan Brunstrum this morning. "Dr. Jan" is a neurologist in St. Louis who happens to have Cerebral Palsy. She is brilliant -- and such a role model for my kids, a source of hope for me as Mom, and an advocate for getting this country to stand up and pay attention to the needs of the Cerebral Palsy community both through awareness, advocacy and research dollars. She was amazing. (And afterwards, I was able to tell her about the article about her my girlfriend gave me when my trio were only 2 and I wasn't sure what the future held. The article was so encouraging and I've kept it all these years. We hugged, and we both cried. It was good!)

And speaking of that friend who gave me the article...ah, I met her in a little Georgia town yesterday for a sweet lunch date. We ate at Taste of Lemon -- this restaurant was located in an old church. You could smell the choir robes immediately upon entering! The place was packed but they fit us in and we had the most amazing lunch...at least for this transplanted Mississippi girl. My plate looked just like my Mama Clara had prepared it for me and my mouth was watering before I ever took a bite! I'll have pictures later -- but for now, just imagine, Salmon Croquettes, Fried Okra, Mashed Potatoes, Pineapple Casserole and Cornbread, ya'll. Doesn't that make you just want a big ole glass of sweet tea?! Ah, it was good. (And yeah, I had to go to the gym for a second time for the day afterwards...but it was worth it. Oh, it was so worth it!)

As we paid, the sweet little cashier was so excited to hear I lived in Arizona..."the home of our next president," she squealed! She shared her very intelligent views about politics and the conversation was delightful. Then we went over to the Square for a little shopping. Oh, how I love shopping on a square! We found the cutest shoes at...are you ready, "The Plaid Rabbit"! And believe me, the shop was as cute as the name!

We're here for a few more days. And while my hips won't endure the blessing that is Fried Okra and Cornbread every day...I'm sure a few more glasses of sweet tea won't hurt me....right?

3 comments:

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

Hello, my dear Southern Belle Pal! Sounds like you are having a delightful time in more ways than one. Love you, girl!

Anonymous said...

Carol...when in Rome...eat up girl! You deserve it!!!

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

Hi honey! I've given you and your blog a little award so stop by my blog to pick it up sometime. We'll have "tea!" XO! me