Wednesday, May 31, 2023

The road was rocky but the view is worth it!



The memories on my social media feeds remind me of summers past. Not that I could forget. 





The feed of photos from the triplets' teen years could explain why my stomach knots up when I think about our time in Arizona. One surgery after another. 





One hard recovery after another. One summer spent squeezing in fun around all the therapies, the casts, the incisions that needed to heal.







(I would be remiss if I didn't point out that my memory feed also points to amazing friends who stood with us, prayed with us, sent movies and meals to us -- from near and far! We are ever grateful!)






Last week I drove Mason to Newark, New Jersey to catch his flight to Athens, Greece. I was a bit teary-eyed and had to explain that it was not because he was leaving (I mean hello. Of course some of the tears were because he was leaving, I like my people here, within arms' reach! ;) ), but rather because I was completely overwhelmed with gratitude that all those summers spent recovering, rehabbing, working to make his legs be the best they can be was for this. He did the work, endured the pain, and overcame the challenges so that today he could lead students as they dig in Ancient Corinth, Greece!!



Mason's view in Greece!



Benjamin is hanging close to home for now -- working with his advocacy group and welcoming them here as often as possible. He met with our state legislators last week and helped convince them to raise the state reimbursement rate for personal care attendants!! His willingness to put in the work and use his experiences, and his gift for speaking to improve care for all people with disabilities amazes me daily. 


With Senator Laura Sturgeon

Delaware Legislative Hall


I wouldn't exactly want to re-live those summers although I miss having my little crew all under one roof. But on this side of the healing, I am so grateful -- for the medical teams, the prayer warriors, the hand-holders and the amazing young men who endured it all!



Carol - The Blessings Counter

0 comments: