Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Getting back to normal. Or not.

Benjamin and I went to the movie this morning. It was my first time in the movie theater since the world shut down last March. (Benjamin and his siblings had been over the summer.)

It was weird. And good. And really weird. I mean, first of all, it was the earliest showing of the day, and Benjamin and I -- well conditioned to arrive super early to ensure a wheelchair spot in the theater (yes, even with reserved seating) -- were there before staff arrived. Once inside, the concessions were eerily empty. The theater only had six guests. And while I am certain some of this is the time and day of our viewing, some of it is in direct relation to Covid. I mean, Benjamin and I would not have gone to see a box buster without the whole family once upon a time.

And so even as I reclined in those comfy seats and settled in for the show, I was struck by how many things have been changed by Covid. How much is different today as we attempt to re-emerge from the safety of our little cocoon.

Oh, this summer was already so much more active than last summer. For sure. For starters, we had family visit and that alone was enough. To hug and be hugged by my brothers and sister-in-laws, and to love on my nieces and nephew was a breath of fresh air. 


My mom and her grandchildren.


And to see my Mama with my own eyes was an absolute gift. My brothers and I are scattered around the country. Sometimes it is a hot minute between our visits. I am not a fan of that at all. But I have come to accept it and look forward to the times we do have together. But my Mama?? I have never not seen her for that long. To have her here was healing.










Softball had sustained us last summer and that ramped up even more this year as more tournaments opened up and travel restrictions were lifted. But still, the bleachers were rarely open, concessions usually closed, and many teams opted not to high five after the games, and coming to the line and waving became more a norm.





School is back for the three Shraders IN school and all are happy to have in-person classes again. But they are wearing masks. And braced for some classes to go virtual as Covid cases arise.

All of that to say, I can't help but wonder what the long-term affects of this pandemic will be on society. I hope that we recognize all the changes were not negatives. I hope we recognize that some things need to hang around!

Benjamin has been able to serve on several committees and campaigns from his very accessible space. He hasn't had to fight for transportation, ramps to enter buildings, or accessible toilet options -- just to name a few things. It is my hope that we will maintain the accessibility that virtual meetings have offered to so many for a multitude of reasons.

Benjamin and Mason have both had virtual doctor appointments. And while I like an in-person visit generally, these have worked very well for ensuring questions can be answered, and needs addressed without exposing them to a myriad of germs -- not just Covid.

My Mississippi book club, which I had missed terribly, has been meeting virtually and are gracious to include me. Recognizing that technology can bridge the miles certainly isn't new. But this pandemic made it commonplace to gather virtually and I have enjoyed it more than I ever imagined I would.

At the risk of being labeled more Pollyanna than I well, already am. I have to also say that I may never go back to NOT wearing a mask when we fly. I mean, not for only obvious reasons. This Mama is just generally exhausted getting the laundry done and the bags packed, and everything to the airport. Getting through security with wheelchairs is stressful and tense and so when we finally sit down on the plane, I am generally asleep before take off from pure exhaustion and relief. The mask prevents anyone from seeing how very asleep I am....as in no one knows that my mouth is hanging wide open! It really is a plus.

Is there something about this year that you hope lingers? A technology you have learned to enjoy? A state--of-being that you are happy to embrace? I would love to hear!

And if you see me on a plane....don't tell my secret! 






Carol - The Blessings Counter

0 comments: