Friday, May 1, 2020

Calling on my prayer warriors.

Once upon a time a fairy godmother waved her magic wand and created an experience that still takes my breath away to remember.

A little bitty ballerina told her ballet teacher about her "big kids" and volunteered them to help with a production of "Peter Pan" in Phoenix, Arizona.


In case you weren't sure who the little bitty ballerina was....


After a wonderful production, Ms. Caroline asked if we would help bring other special needs dancers her way. Soon a plan was formed for a production of "Cinderella." The triplets helped with all the planning, we all worked to promote, and for months the most breathtaking young people rehearsed, performed, and ultimately created a community unlike any I have been a part of. The experience was life-changing, the community life-giving. (I am talking about Cinderella  in this blog post from back then if you want to read more!)


That little bitty ballerina as a mouse in Cinderella!

Early in rehearsals, my van broke down. Stranded in crazy heat with no way to get Cinderella (Claire) to rehearsal, I scrambled and called for Wade and my brother Len. Len drove Claire to rehearsal while Wade and I took care of the van. 



When I finally arrived at rehearsal with the remainder of my crew, two beautiful ballerinas approached to offer hugs. These sweet twin sisters told me Cinderella's coach had broken down. They were so concerned, and repeated their concern to me multiple times. Perhaps it was my exhaustion. Perhaps the heat. But it took me a minute to connect the dots. Lizzy and Stephi were talking about my van. I had to smile. Cinderella's coach had indeed broken down -- and that sounded far better than just talking about my old van dying.




Mason backstage with Stephi and Lizzy at Cinderella!


My family performed, served, and loved in that production of "Cinderella" in 2011 (and I need to clarify here that I say my family, because it was an all-in-event! Cate convinced my brother to play the Evil Stepmother!!). You know what, change that. My family performed, WAS served, and WAS loved in that production....because that much more accurately describes what was happening during that season!



Her Uncle Lenny (Uncky as she called him) could not say no to performing as the Evil Stepmother!
Cinderella running away with "midnight"....

A stuffed tummy helped Gus Gus in his role!


We would continue performing in theatrical productions in Arizona for four more years and our new friends, Lizzy and Stephi never missed a production. They cheered Benjamin, Mason, Claire, and Cate through every single show! What a gift! And every time they wanted to talk about Claire-a-rella, their favorite friend. (And when I say favorite: these precious girls refused to watch Disney's "Cinderella" because Claire did not have blonde hair. Suzy had to find a version where Cindy was a brunette!)



Stephi and Lizzy with the Fiddler in "Fiddler on the Roof!"

Stephi and Lizzy with Cate after "All of a Kind Family."


Today, I am remembering and sharing and honestly, crying because our dear dear Stephi has been diagnosed with breast cancer. My friend Suzy and her family are working to determine the best way to help sweet Stephi understand, the best way to help Stephi fight. And so I have asked permission from Suzy to reach out here, to implore you to pray with me for Stephi's health and for the sustaining grace that they will all need in the days to come! 

In 2011, Stephi and Lizzy were in their early twenties. Suzy had been trying to find a way for them to experience the beauty of dance for more than two decades. Her relentless pursuit paid off -- and watching them take to the stage with their ballet slippers is a vision I will never forget.




Will you join me in praying with that same relentless spirit for Stephi's healing? Will you pray for her precious twin sister Lizzy to be covered in grace as she too will struggle with understanding? Will you please pray for Suzy and Arthur as they navigate it all?

"Then young women will dance and be glad...I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow." Jeremiah 31:13 (NIV)




Carol - The Blessings Counter

0 comments: