Wednesday, January 20, 2016

One foot in front of the other.


As a young mama I chose to be very short-sighted. I focused on the now, today...not the future tomorrows. Oh, I didn't completely ignore the future -- I disciplined my kids with their adult selfs in my mind -- but mainly, mainly I focused on the todays.



The todays were swift and fleeting and here we are smack dab in the tomorrows! But today I had the pleasure of dropping off some things for one of my college freshmen and as he walked away from my van I couldn't help but be transported back to watching his first steps and the memories of how hard he worked to make his legs cooperate with what he desperately wanted them to do. 





It is no easier today for him to put one foot in front of the other -- the wiring of his brain fights that inclination in literally every step -- but he does it anyway. In spite of the hard.




And there are so many lessons there: we are not wired to always pursue Godliness. As a matter of fact, it is far easier to wallow in the dark side of our nature (pity, doubt, anger, fear, hatred even) than it is to focus our minds on what is good and pure and Holy. But we can. We can train our minds and fight the wiring of the world. We can put one foot in front of the other as we march toward a pursuit of Godliness.


One foot in front of the other -- because frankly, I can't think of any other way to handle the tomorrows. Can you?

0 comments: