Thursday, April 23, 2015

In the days before we could "pin" an article....

The trio were only two years old when my dear dear friend pulled a magazine out of her purse and told me I HAD to read it. I must have looked skeptical because she flipped it open and pointed to an article about a doctor -- a neurologist -- named Jan who happens to have Cerebral Palsy. Tears were sliding down my face as I read and I knew that Avery had just given me a treasure worth far more than she could imagine!

I clung to that article. I carried it in my purse for years and years. I pulled it out every single time the road looked scary. I re-read it every single time I feared for the boys' future. I read it and I re-read it until the paper was soft with wear and falling apart.

And then, my beloved husband finished his own medical training and began speaking and writing and researching ways to help children like our amazing boys -- children with Cerebral Palsy. Guess who he would work with repeatedly -- Dr. Jan Brunstrom-Hernandez. Eventually, I attended one of the conferences where she gave the opening remarks. I felt so pulled to meet her -- drawn to stand in line to speak to her after the opening session. I got as far as "Hello, my name is" before I completely broke down in tears. Oh y'all, these were not sweet, gently-roll-down-your-face tears, but full out sobbing tears. I was so grateful to her. She got emotional as well before I pulled myself together and shared my story.

Gratitude does that. It completely overwhelms and defies words and language. Without ever treating my boys, without ever seeing them as patients, she had given me something that is beyond medical training -- she had given me hope.

I consider her a friend today. We have dinner when our paths cross and my boys are fortunate to have a relationship with this amazing lady where she encourages and pushes and drives them to be better, to work harder, to overcome.

Today, our friend has opened a new clinic in Texas where she is focused on caring for children like our's. This morning she posted this on her Facebook page:




As soon as I saw it, I prayed -- "Oh, Lord, let Benjamin and Mason inspire a young mama who needs to hear from You today! Help this little blurb to inspire her to keep reaching for her baby's dreams, to keep fighting the fight, and running the race. Help it to give her HOPE."

Because though most days I still feel like that young mama looking for inspiration, I realize that we are on the other end today. It is our turn to give back.

It is the reason I write here. It is the reason I over-share on Facebook and Instagram. It is the reason I will speak anywhere anyone offers me a microphone. Because I know that hope is an intangible thing and yet it carries more weight than almost anything else.

Will you join me in asking God to take these little offerings and turn them into hope for just the right mama, just the right kiddos, just the right family?


Carol - The Blessings Counter

0 comments: