Monday, January 20, 2014

Dr. King, Steamboat Willie and a much better world!

The triplets were in kindergarten the first time I thought I should explain the importance of Martin Luther King Day. Through tears, I explained how this amazing man's fight for civil rights made the world a better place for everybody. Their little puzzled faces told me they did not understand.

So I began again to explain about the horrors that African American people had endured. I explained that Dr. King fought for black people to have equal rights.

When I was done with what I thought was a thorough explanation, young Benjamin looked at me with the most thoughtful face, and said, "Mom, I have thought and thought. The only black person I know is Steamboat Willie."

And I couldn't help but smile, imagining that Dr. King would be pleased to know a generation of children growing up completely blind to color differences! (Except of course when it concerns black and white cartoons!)




Thank you, Dr. King, for knocking down walls and making our world a much much better place!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello. their beautiful and exciting texts are a joy to me and my wife. Do not stay much time without writing. Stay with God

Anonymous said...

hello. their beautiful and exciting texts are a joy to me and my wife. Do not stay much time without writing. Stay with God