Friday, January 25, 2013

When the tooth drops...


Ten years ago, a little five-year-old Mason walked out of his kindergarten class door grinning from ear-to-ear. He was wearing a treasure box around his little neck that held his first lost tooth -- and I should add, the first lost tooth of the triplets. He was so proud.




I apparently looked crest-fallen because upon reaching me he looked up into my eyes and said, "Don't worry, Mommy. I promise not to grow up too fast."








Sigh. We all know that is a promise he could not even begin to keep.

Did I sigh yet?







Sweet Cate began losing teeth a year ago. But she had only lost the bottom ones before this week. There is something about that first top tooth that changes her entire little face. I want to squeeze her cheeks and hug her close.









I can not freeze time. And honestly, as mom to three amazing 15-year-olds, I wouldn't want to. I KNOW that each phase brings its own share of wonder, awe and amazing. I know that I will love Little Red when she is 10, 12 and 15 even more than I do now.









But I can freeze this season through photos. Oh, just for a glimpse back at the sweet sweet face that lights up my world today; this little toothless smile that will change far too soon for my taste as she loses more teeth, as grown-up teeth grow in and as she grows and changes daily.










So today, I captured her. I captured her little personality as she picked each pose, made suggestions for back drops and suggested where I should stand! (Bossy little thing needs her own camera!)








"For every time there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven.....a time to laugh....and a time to dance...." (Ecc.3:1,4)









That gaping smile is a reminder to seize the day. A reminder to cherish the moments, to walk away from the busy-ness of my day to just be with this little who is growing so fast.





And as long as she is willing to pose, I plan to snap and click and freeze the moments. So that I can relive them over and over again -- that is why I am a photography nut after all!






But rest assured, I am enjoying the blessing of the here and now. I am cuddling, giggling and being silly with this amazing girl -- and her precious "big kids"! They are my richest blessings!!








0 comments: