Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Contentment.

Traveling across the globe is not effortless -- especially not when you are leaving four kiddos behind. The level of anxiety of increased a smidge -- or so -- by the timing of our trip and M's recent medical issues. Wade and I were, as I like to say, orbiting different planets in our response to the diagnosis. He was doing what he does -- contemplating how this latest news would affect Mason's future. I was doing what I do -- contemplating how this latest news affects Mason's todays. We were quiet, contemplative and frankly stressed that we were IN ROME and needed to appreciate it, get in the moment and trust God with the rest.

A respite at this little ivy-covered trattoria, allowed Wade and I a chance to sit, talk about our respective concerns all while enjoying delicious bruschetti, coffee and people-watching!








Completely recharged, we were eager for more sight-seeing -- and God was faithful to meet us right there and minister to our hearts.



The forum of Caesar Augustus -- Wade and I stood here for a while just wondering if it was here, on these floors that Augustus decided to issue a decree that would result in the birth of a baby in a stable. 






He made a decision for tax purposes, ordering everyone to the city of their birth. He was oblivious to the fact that God would use the decision of a ruler to bring to fruition the prophesy foretelling the birth of our Savior, Jesus.






And I tried to be discreet in this photo -- but the young priest ministering on the street comforted my heart.




The cobble-stone roads would have been difficult for my Benjamin -- but the edge offered a flat, smooth surface that would have worked perfectly!





And finally, we ended our first day with a visit to the prison -- now a church -- where Paul and Peter were once prisoners.







Was it here that Paul wrote his words to the Philippians?

"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me."  Philippians 4:11-13




Content -- in a small, wet prison cell -- because of his strength through Christ. In any and every circumstance. Do all things. Face plenty, hunger and need.  Through Christ.

Seems a visit to Rome during this season was exactly what we needed. Exactly.




0 comments: