Thursday, July 26, 2012

You know, that time of year...

When I was growing up, we received a big box every year at the end of July. The box was sent from my Dad's company and was packed full of all manner of wonderful things -- crayons, markers, notebook paper, spiral notebooks and pencils. This company-wide gesture faithfully made me smile from ear to ear.

The box always contained more than we could possibly use in one school year -- and really, that was half the fun. My mom would help us divide the surplus and we would make care packages for my cousins. Oh, I loved delivering those bundles of school supplies. It was my little way of spreading the back-to-school cheer. Yea, I was cool that way.




So today, when I was strolling the aisles of Target with only one item on my list, you'll forgive me if I was pulled to the school supply section and found myself loading my basket. Oh the smells brought back the sweetest memories. (I miss my Daddy even more than those big ole' boxes of school supplies!)

I, of course, came home all cool about it -- the supplies were for Cate, after all. But briefly, in the car, with the smell of crayons and erasers intoxicating me, I was transported back in time.

Can I encourage you to go and make some crayon-smelling memories with your children? It is a blessing they will forever remember!

1 comments:

Game Daddy said...

wow, how cool! I love color crayons and kids art supplies, I can never get enough..sweet story :)