Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Daring to be content

Have you read The Love Dare by Stephen and Alex Kendrick? It is a devotional book for couples, made popular by the movie, Fireproof that was in theaters last Fall. I am midway through the book -- day 24 to be exact and highly recommend it!

Having a good marriage -- and encouraging others in theirs -- is a passion of mine. So I bought the book assuming it would offer some wisdom. What I did not expect, however, was that the book would reveal truths that would change my thinking on a myriad of topics! Wow. Can I share?

Today's lesson was about lust. And when I saw the title, I thought, "Yeah, yeah, I know this one." But then I began reading...the authors begin with 1 John 2:17: "The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever."

They talk about the progression of lust -- from eyes to heart to action, followed by shame and regret. And still, I'm reading and thinking to myself, oh yeah, I've seen that happen before.

And then they began to talk about lusting after possessions, power, or prideful ambition. Hmm. My skin begins to get prickly as I read about Satan deceiving us by convincing us that "we will be happy when..." When we have a bigger house. When we lose the baby weight. When we get that promotion we've been seeking. When we....well, I'm sure you can fill in the blanks.

The point, according to the Kendricks, is that any lust (not just after the Brad Pitt-look-a-like at the gym) is a step out of fellowship with the Lord and with our loved ones.

Did you get that -- any lust is a step out of fellowship with God and those we love!

"His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires." 2 Peter 1:3-4

I have to tell you that I have read that verse several times this morning. God's divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness. In other words, friends, I think this verse is saying we should be content with what we have.

So my paraphrase -- with apologies to the Kendricks if the points I have taken are not the points they intended -- is that when we aren't content with our bodies, our homes, our career choice, we show discontent in our relationships. The discontent translates, dear ones, into every part of our being, like a poison.

Will you join me today in CHOOSING contentment? In giving thanks to God for giving us everything we need for life with Him, and to rest in that?

In other words -- spend the day counting your blessings -- it will improve your marriage!!

0 comments: