Monday, December 10, 2012

No room.

 We loaded the van and started for Mississippi. It would be the first Christmas "back home" since the triplets were born and we were eager to be on our way!

The drive from Chicago to Tupelo was a bit more than 10 hours -- with two adults. We were not sure what it would look like with 2 adults and 3 one-year-olds. We made hotel reservations for an overnight stay but when we reached that spot on the journey we were all going strong so decided to try to make it a bit further.



When sleepy and grumpy began to set in, we took the nearest exit. And proceeded to the nearest hotel. But there was no room.





We proceeded to the next hotel and the next finally loading back into the van and making our way to another exit. A little punch drunk from exhaustion and more than a little nervous, I began to make jokes about feeling like Mary and Joseph. There literally was no room at any of the inns.





"And she (Mary) gave birth to her firstborn son and wrapped him in swaddling cloths and laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the inn." Luke 2:7





My heart is crazy right now. I am anxious about Benjamin's hand surgery this week (Friday) and choking on my worries about the spine surgery still months away. I am snippy and grumpy and need a warning sign around my neck for anyone who comes in contact with me.

But my calendar reminds me that there are only 15 days until Christmas. Only 15 days to make room for the one born in a manger all those years ago. The one who can calm my heart, protect my children and provide the peace that passes all understanding.

Don't be like the inn in Bethlehem -- or the hotels in Illinois for that matter -- make room this Christmas season for Jesus!!

0 comments: